Tuesday, October 8, 2013

El Santurio de Chimayo

Leaving Santa Fe, we headed north to Chimayo. The people at the Hotel Chimayo were really pushing it. 
(Nice overpasses.) 

We had no idea what Chimayo was all about, but the first thing that hits you are the overwhelming symbols of religion. Is this a Spanish thing? Crosses, candles, and statues are everywhere. Or is this something basic to human nature - and you find it everywhere whether it be Lourdes, the Vatican, Tibet, or India? I’m trying to keep an open mind.







Seeing the line of crutches, all alike and seemingly brand new, gave me the strong sense of a set up. 

I went into the gift store and asked if there was a brochure or something to tell us what this was all about. She was very patient and explained the whole story of the miracle of how the Church was built and the miraculous healing that had occurred from people touching the dirt in the side room of the Church. 




You can read more about El Santuria de Chimayo at this website: http://www.elsantuariodechimayo.us

Well, I had John dig up some dirt and now I have my own little container of miracle dirt! Not sure if this is a good thing or not, or if it just is. I know that my father really got into this sort of thing.




3 comments:

  1. I think I heard about this once. Fascinating place. Thanks for all these wonderful photos, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Barbara ... believe me, I have hundreds more to add. Already I'm 5 posts behind!

      Delete